Sunday, August 27, 2006

Japanese cinema

As I said earlier, I went to watch Superman Returns.
Honestly, it is a great film but I can understand why some critics went all the other way about it.
But it's Superman so, who cares ? :D
Just go watch it, 'nuff said.

Now I will talk about cinema in Japan. I will compare it with cinemas in France, since I don't know about cinemas elsewhere in the world.

The cinema I went to is the MOVIX, near my home
It's located on the 3nd floor (3rd in Japan, 2nd in France) of a mall, called Ario.
First of all, the ticket. Before coming, I already checked about the whether the movie was showing in English or not. Hopefully, it was. So, as a 外人 (gaijin) and totally assuming it, I bought the ticket all in English, that way there would be no mistake if she would have ever sold me a ticket for the Japanese version. She then showed me a map of the room, because you are assigned a specific seat when you buy the ticket, compared to France where you have to fight your way in for the best ones. I chose a seat in the middle, when she told me that the best seats are behind.
Anyway, I sticked to my choice, bought a coke (200 yens, pretty cheap compared to what you see in France...) and headed for the entrance.
There, I showed my ticket to the staff and as I headed to the room 5 for the movie, I saw people getting blankets (you read well) and cushions, which were available for anyone to take. If you are afraid of getting cold during the movie or if you want to do things with your boy/girlfriend without being seen, go for it.
Then you spot your seat, thank God or whatever you trust in for not having listened to the girl because your place couldn't be more perfect, get on it and wait for the movie to start. They show trailers, along with a small serie called "Rabbit's minute" or something like that. It's just a very short CGed movie, featuring 2 rabbits and their so-wonderful life near a public trash where living carrots prevent them from taking a disposed but good-looking and working piano (if you don't understand, nevermind).
Finally, when you think that the movie is about to start, a staff comes in, stands in front of the screen and says stuff like "welcome to movix" "you are about to watch superman returns" "please turn off your phone and don't smoke" "enjoy blabla". Besides what I enumerated, it's pretty much the same in France.

No comments: